Friday, October 5, 2012

All-Hallows-eve

It is October!  And that means along with the nasty cold rainy weather it has brought with it,  one of my favorite holidays is just around the corner.  Thats right, Halloween will be here before you know it.  The time of year where we geeks can pull out our favorite cosplay outfits without being laughed at by our co-workers.  So put on your best Femshep armor or your most revealing Wonderwoman skirt because it is time for my October Girly Geek picks.

Lets kick it off with Games. I am sad to say that the horror genre has a very lackluster showing this month in new game releases.  I did just pick up my copy of "Resident Evil 6" yesterday but have yet to crack open the seal on it.  Thus far it has been getting fairly decent reviews with a 7.9 from IGN (which is a "good" on their scale) and an 8.75 from Gameinformer (which puts it at a "silver" ranking on their scale).  We have sold out of the PS3 version at my store, so I am looking forward to trying it out myself.  Look for my review on the Xbox version  on tweeter as soon as I get a chance to play it.  With all of my other favorite horror games being pushed back to next year (i.e...."Dead Space 3", "Aliens Colonial Marines", and "Bioshock Infinite") I suggest taking time to check out a couple of games you may have missed along the way.  One series that is my absolute favorite survival horror pick is the "Fatal Frame" series.  It is a three game series that is available on the PS2.  Unfortunately because it is old school and kinda hard to find, it is a little pricey for a PS2 title.  But if you are a horror fan you will find it well worth the cost. Ok chica if you are not cool enough to still have an old school PS2 laying around, then you need to check out the game "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" for your PC or MAC, it will only put you out 20$ but will give you more scares than you can handle. I recommend playing it with the lights off and your favorite set of headphones on, that way with every boogie who jumps out you can scream like a little girl and wake up your whole family. At least that is what I did.

On to movies. I will of course be watching some of the oldies but goodies throughout October.  I can't let Halloween go by without a re-watch of "Alien", "The Shinning", "Scream", "The Poltergeist", and some classic "MST 3000" horror movie episodes.  With that said, there are a few new movies that you should check out this month.  First is "Possession" (in theaters now), directed by Ole Bornedal and staring a young actress named Natasha Calis.  It is not the kind of creep show that will give you nightmares for years to come, but it has a very intriguing story line and enough scares in it to keep you jumping in your seat through the whole movie.  If nothing else you should watch it for the amazing acting that Natasha gives.  I look forward to seeing her in more movies to come.  The horror film I am most looking forward to this Halloween does not come out till Oct. 12th.  Director Scott Derrickson's new film "Sinister" staring Ethan Hawke and Juliet Rylance looks so scary that I can barely make it through the trailer without jumping.  I cannot wait for this film to come out! My last pick for this month is a shout out to "Buffy the Vampire Slayers", Amber Benson ( who played Tara).  She is staring in a new Ward Robert's movie called "Dust Up". It is currently available on-demand but they are doing screenings at different locations across the country. Check out their link below to catch the showing nearest you.  I will be attending the Indianapolis showing on Oct. 18th so if you are in the Indy area I hope to see you there.

Last but never least, what to read what to read.  First, nothing scary about it, I want to give a shout out to one of our favorite trekies, LeVar Burton.  Congrats on your new Reading Rainbow IOS ap! I loved Reading Rainbow as a kid and I'm so glad a whole new generation of children will get a chance to find the joy of reading. So ladies, if you have younglings running around make sure you download this ap. In the area of comics, Dark Horse has a few horror comics that are worth checking out this month.  The three that I am most excited for are "Creepy", "B.R.P.D", and the upcoming "EX Sanguine" series. In the area of novels I will be spending my time this month reading Ray Bradbury's Halloween classic Something Wicked This Way Comes (not to be confused with the romance novel by the same name that Goodreads first put on my currently reading list when trying to add this book...oops).  I will also be getting my spook on with Sarah Waters' Affinity (this one is a paranormal romance) and Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub.  Lets be serious, you know it isn't October without Stephen King.  You can check out my official reviews of these books on the Goodreads  forums.

So that is my g picks for October. I look forward to seeing what you guys think.  Be sure to let me know.  Until next time...may the force be with you.

Follow me on tweeter @JessicaRocco
www.ign.com
www.gameinformer.com
www.gamestop.com
www.haveyouseenhim.com
www.dustupfilm.com
www.darkhorse.com
www.goodreads.com




No comments:

Post a Comment