Wednesday, November 7, 2012

November: The Gamer's Month of Blockbusters

"Remember, remember gamers will have no money left by the end of November."  OK so that might not be the actual quote but if you are like me...it might as well be. The last few years November has been the month of choice for many of the Blockbuster video game makers.  With games like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed,  Halo, and Battlefield/Medal of Honor coming out this month at 60$ a pop almost every year, it leaves many of our pocket books empty by the time Christmas rolls around.  But are these games really the only ones worth spending that hard earned money on?  I beg to differ.  I say if these are really games you want, then put them on your Christmas list, because your non-geeky friends and family will have no trouble walking into a store and finding them for you.  This month I give you my non-blockbuster picks for holiday games that get lost in the shuffle of the big multi-million dollar releases.

First off Sony has a few great deals that are way worth your money this month.  Throughout the last year Playstation has been putting out several HD collections, some I will have to say I really don't think are worth the money, but there are two that are a must buy.  First off is the Mass Effect Collection from Bioware.  That's right my PS3 fans, you can finally play Mass Effect 1!  If you have not played this series all the way through from 1 to 3 then you are missing out on one of the best action role playing games out there.  With Mass Effect 1 being a 360 exclusive up until now, this is the best opportunity that you Sony fan-boys and girls have of jumping into a great series.  My only regret in this collection is that it will not include all the story DLC, which in my opinion adds a great deal to the game.  So if buying this for the first time, be prepared for the inevitable, once you fall in love with your character and story line you will be shelling out more money to continue your story.  Don't get me wrong I have bought all the DLC and find everyone of them worth it, but just take it as a warning.  Now I don't want to leave my XBOX360 and PC fans hanging.  This collection came out this week for you guys too.  And if you don't already have the whole series this is by far the best way to go.  The only reason I am not buying it on my 360 is because I already have all three collector's edition with the steel book cases :). If you do follow my advice on picking up this amazing collection then also keep your eye open for "The Omega" DLC for Mass Effect 3, which is coming out very soon.

My second must buy Playstation HD collection is Sony/Capcom's God of War Saga.  This is a two disc collection that contains 5 complete games: God of War 1, 2,(both from the PS2)  and 3 (PS3), Ghost of Sparta, and Chains of Olympus (Originally PSP).  Despite the fact that the God of War series is one of the best large scale hack-n-slash blood baths out there, this is the first time that Kratos' whole story can be played in order on one platform. If not having to own three different Sony systems in order to kill with your favorite anti-hero Kratos isn't enough to get you excited, the very low price of 39$ should get your blood flowing.  And for those of you who may have just gotten your PS3, for only 59$ you can get the whole collection plus a red PS3 dual shock controller.

My last pick off the month is the newest addition to the Lego game series. Lego Lord of the Rings by developers Warner Bros Games and Traveler's Tales Games is a simple but fun look into Middle Earth.  The game does have a few glitches that can be a little annoying. Such as, invisible trees and studs flying into places impossible to reach. With that said though, this game keeps the charming feel found in all the Lego games, while bringing to life many of our favorite LOTR characters.  It includes all three of the LOTR movies. Though, you can get a young Bilbo as a playable character, you do not play any of the Hobbit story line.  I would go out on a limb and predict that Tolkien fans can expect another Lego game in the near future.  One thing I love is that the game holds surprises not just for fans of the movies, but also to fans of the books.  My favorite of these being the ability to gain Tom Bombadil along with his musical attacks as a playable character in the game.  If you don't know who I'm referring too, then I suggest picking up Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, because he is my favorite character.

So while your in your local Gamestop buying your favorite blockbuster game this November, take a minute to check out these games as well.  You will not be disappointed. As always you can find links to everything I have mentioned this month at the bottom of the page.  I hope you have a great November with lots to be thankful for.  Until next time may the force be with you.
~Your Favorite Girl Geek Jessy

Follow me on Twitter @JessicaRocco

Links:
 Bioware
Playstation 3
Sony
Capcom
Lego
Warner Bros Games
Traveler's Tales Games



No comments:

Post a Comment